Managing Pre-Start Reviews
Duration: 0.5 Days
REVISED! Learn about the legal requirements for PSRs and how to assess whether the requirements apply and if a PSR is required.
Registration fee per person:
This training can also be delivered exclusively for your team online or in-person at your premises at a convenient date & time.
Talk to us for availability and pricing at 1 877 494 WSPS (9777)
Formerly 15847-Pre-Start Health and Safety Reviews (1/2 day).
The legal requirements for pre-start health and safety reviews (PSRs) are numerous and complex. Under Section 7 of Ontario's Regulation for Industrial Establishments, employers may need to conduct a PSR and implement compliance measures before a new or modified apparatus, structure, protective element or process is put into use.
PSRs most commonly apply in circumstances involving safeguarding devices that signal a stop (e.g., light curtains, interlocked doors, etc.). They can also apply in circumstances involving:
- Racks and stacking structures
- Lifting devices
- Spray booths
- Flammable liquids
- Dust collectors for easily ignitable dusts
- Molten metal in a foundry
- Chemical processes
- Exposure to the hazards associated with these circumstances can result in serious injuries and illnesses or fatalities and costly liabilities for employers.
This course helps participants understand the requirements of Section 7 and assess whether those requirements apply and if a PSR is (or is not) required. Plus, it provides practical tools and resources to support compliance.
What topics will be covered?
This half-day, instructor-led course offers the following features:
- Developed with the support of a WSPS professional engineer experienced in delivering PSRs and qualified in machine safeguarding-our expert advisor served as chair of the CSA Technical Committee on Safeguarding of Machinery.
- Delivered only by WSPS technical experts qualified in machine safety or other relevant areas, such as steel storage racking and lifting devices. Includes activities that facilitate optimal transfer of knowledge to learners.
- Can be tailored to the customer's requirements and include site-specific examples and walk-throughs when delivered on-site.
What are the benefits?
This training solution helps employers to:
- Reduce the risk of injuries, illnesses & fatalities and avoid costly incidents, prosecutions, fines, property losses and downtime
- Reduce costs by integrating health & safety at the design stage which minimizes the need for equipment or process retrofits
- Achieve safe, healthy and productive workplaces in a cost-effective & proactive way
- Demonstrate due diligence
Upon completion, you will be able to
- Describe what a PSR is and the intent behind the requirements of Section 7 of the Regulation for Industrial Establishments
- Review how the legal requirements apply
- Assess when a PSR is or is not required
- Follow a process for complying with Section7 requirements
- Identify where to turn for more help
Who is this recommended for?
- Safety professionals & engineers.
- Managers & supervisors of operations, plants and warehouses.
- Purchasing & maintenance personnel.
- Others responsible for PSR assessments or implementation.
- JHSC members.
How can training be delivered?
This course is delivered in a public classroom and/or can also be delivered in an on-site location. Please contact Customer Care at 905 614 1400 or 1 877 494 WSPS (9777) for more information about availability and on-site pricing.
Volume discounts for selected training, which have been marked throughout the catalogue, are shown below.
- Participants must be from the same organization
- Participants must register for the same course. However, course dates and locations can vary; CSA/WSPS courses excluded
- Registrations must be received by WSPS at the same time.